Friday, April 25, 2008

The First Blog is the Hardest

Welcome to the Allaire’s Colorado adventure blog.

















Is it possible to have blogger's block before you have even begun your first entry? For some reason I feel a lot of pressure (self induced) to create the most entertaining and humorous, yet gritty and real blog ever! There are so many great blogs out there and with my competitive nature and all, I must create the best blog ever!! Hence the writer's block.


I guess I will take the easy way out and insert some pictures. They probably tell the story better than I could anyhow. Plus as you can see, Colorado is gorgeous (come and visit). Any blog with a picture of Pikes Peak is a sure winner.
So, Chuck arrived safe and sound in early February with a few bikes in tow. That tiny 14,115 foot mountain in the background is Pikes Peak.







Meanwhile, I had to stay back in Michigan to tie up some loose ends.... That's just everything we own getting loaded up on the semi. I felt pretty good about handing over all of our stuff to the moving guy, especially after he told me the story about how he busted some ladies cement steps with his forklift earlier that week. Notice all the snow--it seems like a prerequisite for us to be able to move.


Tia is relaxing in the empty house the morning of my departure. By the way I have a word of warning--if you have house plants and are planning on taking them with you when you move across the country--don't bother. I think they will be fine as far as Iowa, but Nebraska pretty much will do them in. Or maybe it just had to do with being crammed between the dog and pillows and the television and all my snacks?

So blog numero uno is in the books. There is so much exploring and so many adventures to be had here in Colorado that there's no way we can run out of ideas for our blog. Plus you will want to follow my reentry back into the bike racing world after being semi-retired. I need to wake up my weak sprinting legs because there is a velodrome here. What could be more fun than learning how to ride a single speed, fixed gear bike with no brakes on a 33% embankment?
Be sure to stay tuned for the next blog when I have to say goodbye to my friends, my family, my coworkers, my teammates, my first house, my first dog, and to the place I have lived for the last 34 years of my life. Don't worry, the reading will be light and whimsical and verrrry entertaining.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Colorado and blogging. I'm sure you'll love it here. I've lived in Colorado Springs all my life and haven't found a reason to leave. It's gotten too big but there so much outdoor stuff to do here.

I found out about your blog from Danielle Musto. Maybe I'll see you on the trails.

Tedbentley said...

welcome to the place I spent 3 weeks in December. I even went to Monarch and skied for a day.That place is so beautiful. One of the coolest memories is standing on a street downtown Colorado springs and looking back at pikes peak! Oh so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Springs! Danielle mentioned you would be out here. Like Rob, maybe I'll run into you on the trails. How has the racing been for you?

Anonymous said...

I haven't done any racing yet--we're finally settling in and able to ride a bit more. I feel like I missed getting a lot of base miles in because of all the chaos of moving and finding a job and all that.... I am however, planning on doing a 50 mile mountain bike race next weekend.... I am sure I will bring it up in my blog very soon!