Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mini-Vacation

Just when I thought we were getting used to the elevation here, we decide to go up even higher to Woodland Park. We mountain biked around Rampart Reservoir which is at an elevation of about 9,200 feet. It was incredibly quiet and peaceful because they weren't allowing any boating on the Reservoir. Apparently those stupid zebra mussels are a problem in Colorado and they don't want this body of water to get contaminated. Good for us, bad for boaters.
After growing up on Lake Michigan, it is a bit disconcerting to learn that Colorado Springs water source is this reservoir. I definately do not leave the water running when I brush my teeth.
I am slowly getting used to the fact that most of the trails here are made up of little slippery red gravelly rocks. You really have to control your speed going into the many blind, off camber corners, or you could find yourself with nothin' but air underneath you and your bike. Luckily I have disk brakes and an irrational fear of breaking my collarbone to keep me in check.
Even with a record high in the Springs of 86 degrees, it was at least 15 degrees cooler at the reservoir. We were still suprised to find our trail suddenly turn into ice! Chuck had to show off his bunny hopping skills over the crevasse.
It was so pretty up where we were riding that it was hard to actually get any riding in. We had to stop every 5 minutes to enjoy the view, or play in the snow, or feel how cold the icy mountain water was.




Hopefully you aren't getting sick of seeing pictures of Pikes Peak. This photo is actually the backside of the mountain, looking at it from the West.
Well, time to head out for a little ride before work. I have to go now since there is going to be 40 mph wind gusts starting at 1:00pm and that is NO fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been able to look out my window at Pikes Peak every day of my life and I'm still not tired of it. Sounds like you had a good time up at Rampart!

You'll get used to the gravel here. To go fast in the corners you just have to get used to a sideways drift.

Danielle Musto said...

Those pictures are so beautiful. It almost looks fake!

I've come to the conclusion that you guys aren't ever coming back. I know that I wouldn't.

Anonymous said...

Boy, you would think with all the sun you get there you could get rid of those pasty white chicken legs your standing on.
Great views, good job on jumping the crack.looking for a table top pic for the next one.
Keep the wind on your backside.....leo

Anonymous said...

Chuck and Julie,

I am jealous!! It is so beautiful our there. It looks like you're having a riot in C.Springs. I'm ready for a roadtrip. So Chuck did you ride with teamSpout from GR or is that a different team? Jen knows Rick who started spout if that is the same company. Anyways, enjoy the mountains. Talk to you soon.

Ridgeway Randy

Anonymous said...

you guys look great! we miss you so much , but are glad you are in such a neat place and enjoying it so much! love ya! mom & pop